Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Bill Maher, North America and My Own Luck

Green pools.

To the average person who knows me that might mean a salt waster pool maintained by rain water and solar heating. I wish that was the case here. If it wasn't for a little tie in here this post would be something to see on my other super fun blog As Seen on TV. In Arizona with all the abandoned homes there are many pools that are going untouched, uncleaned and unused. That is with the exception of the algae and mosquitoes. The only answer they've come up with is introducing a species of mosquito easting fish that will apparently kill off the indigenous fish if introduced into the wild. Well at least I'm not the only one to whom this sounds totally asinine. But perhaps Bill is right and the fish are the perfect metaphor for the US today, to fix the problem throw something worse at it and hope for the best.

Now I'm not claiming that our Canadian Politicians are any better, in fact it's abundantly clear to me that from the time I was eight years old I've known more about sustainable development and environmental technologies than any of them. But perhaps that's just the luck of having my parents.

I'd say the moral here is you really can't wait for a government solution to anything, most of those people aren't fit to run their own lives let alone the lives of anyone else. By the time a solution comes from the government it comes in the form of the killer fish I mentioned above. It's not that Governments are inherently bad, governments are people and the people are governments after all, but so often our elected officials don't understand the choices they make... at all.

Once again the bottom line here is make your own solutions. Figure out your problem in all its' forms. Just remember, like they said in men in black - the first one - "A person is smart, people are dumb stupid and panicky." Hopefully you took that as a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment